Clenching your teeth can damage your mouth and cause pain. A mouth guard for clenching can save your life if you grind or clench your teeth at night or during the day. With so many alternatives, it’s important to know which mouth guard is best for clenching since there are several options available.
Teeth clenching, or bruxism is common while sleeping. Dental issues and pain can result from teeth clenching. An anti-clenching mouth guard, or night guard, is a common bruxism treatment.
Below is a breakdown of the different types:
Custom-fitted mouthguards are the gold standard for clenching and grinding. A dentist or dental specialist makes them after taking impressions of your teeth. These imprints are used to design a mouthguard that is specific to your oral structures. Here are some of the reasons why custom-fitted mouthguards are often the best option:
- Comfortable: Custom-fitted mouthguards are most comfortable and secure due to their precise fit. Due to their anchoring, they won’t move or disrupt you when you sleep.
- Effective protection: They provide maximum protection against clenching and grinding since they fit your teeth perfectly. They’re comfortable and fit your teeth.
- Long-lasting: These mouthguards are made of high-quality materials and last a long time.
- Personalized treatment: If you need extra tooth protection or other oral issues, dentists can personalize this mouth guard.
The main disadvantage of custom-fitted mouthguards is that they are more expensive than store-bought mouthguards.
Boil-and-Bite Mouthguards (OTC)
Mouth guards that boil and bite are widely available at drugstores and can be molded at home. They are less expensive than custom-fitted guards and have the following advantages:
- Affordability: These mouthguards are affordable and readily accessible.
- Better fit than stock guards: While not as precise as custom-fitted guards, boil-and-bite mouth guards can be molded to precisely match your teeth, providing a better fit than stock mouth guards.
- Immediate availability: You can get these mouthguards without having to wait for a dentist visit.
OTC boil-and-bite mouthguards, on the other hand, may not be as effective as custom-fitted ones, and the fit may be less secure. Additionally, the quality of materials varies between companies, influencing their durability and effectiveness.
Stock mouthguards are pre-formed one-size-fits-all solutions. They are the cheapest option and are widely available in pharmacies. While they are not ideal for clenching, they are better than no protection at all. Here’s what you should know about stock mouthguards.
- Affordability: These are the most cost-effective choices accessible.
- Immediate availability: They are available for purchase immediately, with no waiting period required.
However, because stock mouthguards are not specifically personalized, they often offer a less comfortable fit, can be bulky, and may not remain in place as well as the other options. They may also provide less protection and wear down faster.
Custom-fitted guards are often the most suitable choice for optimal comfort and protection when it comes to choosing the finest mouth guard for clenching. If you’re on a limited budget, OTC boil-and-bite mouthguards are a reasonable balance between price and fit. Stock mouthguards, while cheap, should only be used as a last resort due to their limited effectiveness.
Remember that clenching may damage your dental health, so investing in a high-quality mouth guard is an investment in your well-being. Consult your dentist in West Edmonton to identify the appropriate sort of mouth guard for you, and start enjoying better sleep and better oral health right now.
Safeguard Your Smile with Our Exceptional Dental Guards!
Westside Family Dental is committed to preserving your smile. Discover the comfort and peace of mind that our premium mouthguards offer – because your smile deserves the utmost care.
Book your appointment today!