Wisdom teeth, or third molars, typically make their appearance during late adolescence or early adulthood. While they served a purpose in our evolutionary past, today, they often become more of a burden than a boon due to the limited space in our mouths.
As a result, countless individuals opt for wisdom tooth extraction to maintain their oral health and prevent complications. When it comes to wisdom tooth extraction healing, we stand as your trusted partner. To ensure a healthy wisdom teeth healing experience, it’s essential to follow postoperative care instructions provided by our dentist.
Before you receive this treatment, it’s essential to have a thorough understanding of the procedure. Talk to our dentist for expert advice to ensure a smooth appointment and an informed recovery.
What to Do for Proper and Faster Healing?
Recovery from surgery can be sped up, and complications avoided with the right postoperative care. Our dentist will give you detailed instructions. Usually, these involve
- Pain Control: Prescription or over-the-counter painkillers can be used to treat postoperative discomfort.
- Wound Care: It’s important to keep the surgery site clean. It’s crucial to gently rinse with warm salt water and adhere to our dentist’s wound care instructions.
- Dental Care: It’s important to keep your mouth clean, but you should be gentle at the surgery site to prevent bruising.
- Dietary Modifications: Choose a soft diet that is simple to chew and won’t interfere with recovery.
- Rest and Hydration: Give your body the rest it requires, drink plenty of water, and refrain from intense exercise during the first few days of recovery.
What to Expect After Having Your Wisdom Tooth Removed
There are typical symptoms and side effects to expect after wisdom tooth removal, and every person’s experience will be distinct. The painkillers that have been prescribed can help with swelling and discomfort, which are common side effects.
Jaw bruises are frequent but heal rapidly. While the image can be frightening at first, it normally goes away after a day or two. It’s essential to prepare for the unexpected because life isn’t ideal.
These can include dry socket, infection, or nerve damage, and any concerned symptoms should be reported to our dentist as soon as possible. You need not look any further than us if you require an experienced dentist in West Edmonton to assist you during the recovery from wisdom teeth extraction.
How Do You Speed Up the Recovery Process?
Despite the fact that recovery periods may differ, there are proactive measures you can take to quicken the healing process:
Think about sticking to foods like soup, mashed potatoes, and yogurt that are easier on the digestive system while you heal.
Make sure you get adequate sleep and consume lots of water to help your body mend itself.
Applying cold packs for the first 24 hours, followed by warm packs, will assist in reducing swelling. Avoiding smoke, alcohol, and other addictive substances will greatly speed up your recovery.
What to Avoid After Wisdom Teeth Removal?
To minimize difficulties and delays during your recovery process, it’s equally important to know what to avoid; trust us to provide you with the experience and care needed to foster a healthy wisdom teeth healing process.
- Avoid Strenuous Activity: To reduce the chance of bleeding or pain. For a few days after surgery, refrain from doing anything physically demanding to lower the chance of bleeding or discomfort.
- Say No to Straws: Using a straw to drink can result in suction forces that could interfere with the clot that is forming to repair the extraction site.
- Make Smart Food Selections: Avoiding foods that are hard, crunchy, or spicy during the first stage of healing is advised since they may irritate the surgical region.
- Avoid Alcohol, Tobacco, and Smoking: These substances should be avoided while you are recovering since they can seriously impair your ability to heal.
When it comes to ensuring a healthy wisdom teeth healing process, we’ve got you covered at Westside Family Dental.
Westside Family Dental: Your Oral Health Companion
At our dental clinic, we are your dependable partner for wisdom tooth extraction recovery. Our dental professionals are knowledgeable about the healing process for wisdom teeth, ensuring that your treatment is worry-free the entire time.
We work hard to offer quality dental care and sympathetic support to every patient who visits us. Contact our dentist in West Edmonton to receive the care you deserve!