Poor oral health causes children to miss over 51 million school hours yearly and can negatively impact their well-being and future success. At Westside Family Dental, we prioritize educating children on the importance of maintaining excellent oral hygiene and caring for their pearly whites.
You don’t need to be an experienced dentist to teach children about proper oral health. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or just a caring individual who wants to help the kids in your community live healthier lives, our team has compiled a list of engaging ways to teach kids about oral health.
Teaching Kids About Healthy Foods That Promote Oral Health
A children’s dentist in West Edmonton will remind you that diet and food choices are essential to ensuring your child’s teeth remain free of cavities and decay. Here are some tips for teaching your child about foods that will promote their oral health:
- Make pretend “teeth” out of laminated paper, and give each child their “tooth.” Have them select a snack from a list of foods that contain both unhealthy and healthy options. If they select a healthy snack, use a dry-erase marker to mark their tooth. If they select an unhealthy snack, use a Sharpie to make a mark. Please have your child brush their tooth and let them see how much easier it is to brush away healthy foods than unhealthy foods.
- Show your child a video about plaque, and let them watch how sugar helps plaque grow.
Teaching Kids About the Importance of Flossing
When you visit our dentist near you, they will almost always ask if you have been flossing regularly. Flossing is very important because it removes the plaque and debris from between your teeth and prevents cavities and gum disease. Here are some fun ways to remind your child of the importance of flossing:
- Use an egg carton or ice cube tray and stick Play-Doh around the base of each “tooth.” Please provide your child with floss to remove the Play-Doh and remind them to use the right techniques to remove all the dangerous bacteria and plaque.
- Floss with your child and make different fun sounds as you move the floss back and forth between each tooth.
Teach Your Child About the Dentist
It is important to get your child excited about pediatric dentistry near you. There are plenty of ways to do this, but one of the best ways to get a child interested in visiting a dentist is by reading books to them. Here is a list of some of our favourite children’s books about dentistry:
- The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss
- Brush, Brush, Brush! By Alicia Padron
- Curious George Visits the Dentist by H.A Rey
Visit Westside Family Dental
While teaching your child about oral healthcare at home is very important, it is just as important to take them to visit our dentist in West Edmonton at least once every six months. An experienced pediatric dentist can monitor your child’s development, ensure they maintain excellent oral health, and teach them the best ways to care for their teeth and gums.
If you would like to learn more, please do not hesitate to contact our team at Westside Family Dental. We are happy to provide high-quality dental care for patients of all ages.